Bread, Hike & Garmin!
March 9, 2010
Whew – is the weekend really over? I had a great relaxing weekend in town with the hubby, including:
- Dinner w/ a former colleague and his wife Friday night. It was nice to hang out with them, and I hope we do it again because it would be nice to have some married friends who live nearby!
- Saturday morning I dragged my butt out of bed for BodyPump! It was my first Saturday morning workout in weeks, and felt great!
- After pump, I headed over to the Falls Church Farmer’s market for the first time in 2010! I was disappointed that the vendors were out of fresh eggs, but got some great apples, sweet potatoes and foccacia bread.
- To continue my healthy Saturday, I went on a fantastic outdoor run. It was SO nice and warm – tons of people were out biking and walking their dogs. I was only scheduled for 4 miles, but ran 5.6m because I had slacked last weekend and earlier in the week.
- Saturday night, my husband and I watched 2 movies. I loved Marley & Me, even though I recognize it was a pretty terrible movie. MY GOSH what a tear-jerker! Movies with old or sick dogs always get me because they remind me of all the great dogs my family had when I was younger. My husband has never had a pet, and he though I was crazy for sobbing. The second movie we watched was “A Serious Man,” which I had confused with “A Single Man.” I kept waiting for Colin Firth to appear! It was a good, but dark movie.
- Sunday, after some yummy waffles, I made my first ever loaf of bread! I used Mark Bittman’s “No-Knead Bread” recipe. It seems like a lot of effort because you need to prepare the dough a day early & let it rise for 18 hours, but it was worth it!
- After breadmaking, my husband and I went for a wonderful hike at Bull Run Mountain.
- Sunday night we went over a friend’s place for an Oscar watch party, complete with champagne! We were thrilled for NPH’s appearance!
Recipe, with the only ingredients! It may sound silly, but I never knew you could make bread with so little!
We had to make the dough into a ball. It wasn’t supposed to stick! I guess I need more flour next time. It reminded me of Nickelodeon Gak – remember that stuff??
Covered w/ cotton. Thrilling, no?
Ready for the oven! The recipe calls for you to use a pre-heated dutch oven as a bread oven!
1/2 way through – time to take off the lid.
Doesn’t look bad!
Happy, carb-lovin Shannon!
We saw some old buildings/ruins on our hike.
I spot a handsome man!
I joined him.
Onto Monday… Look at what I got in the mail!
I shall call her “Garma.” I was worried that it would be ENORMOUS because it always looks so big on other girls’ wrists, but I forgot that I am a giant with MONSTER HANDS!